Monday, April 18, 2016

#areapoaching‏

This week has been pretty great. It started out on tuesday by there being a zone Conference up in Grand Rapids. The other Elders had the car but they weren't fond of the idea of driving in that traffic so they gave me the keys and It got Crazy! I felt like I was racing down a hill at 70 miles a hour with 20 other longboarders swerving in front of me and with crazy hills and turn offs and blinding sunlight. It was much more intense then the Fast and the furious over in Lansing! 

It was a great conference though! For a first time in a long time I actually felt like I learned something that I can apply into my missionary work from the mission training. Every other time I feel like I learn more from picking specific phrases and scriptures out from the training and thinking about them until truth is revealed to me about how I can improve. But this one I was able to actually learn from the speakers and then I was able to pick apart the hidden truths from every thing else that was there to build upon that even more. 

I heard a statistic that in my mission when you total up every missionaries baptism out of the 150ish of us there is about 380 baptisms that happened. and 75% of all of those were found by door knocking. I always have to battle new missionaries on how door knocking isn't effective, I loved this!

Talking about battling missionaries Yesterday we got a random call from a member who we are close to, he asked us to come out with him to give some one a blessing right away. We went to the location we were asked to meet up, it was only 4 blocks away from our apartment! We went inside to give them a blessing when the member came to find the part member family the sister missionaries brought to church the past 2 weeks...#dangareapoachers.  

They have gone over like 5 times to teach, and never once told us that they are like a quarter mile away from our apartment and way in our are and like 4 miles away from theirs.....I brought it up last night and they also remarked brought up that they just picked up a investigator in Galesburg (also my area and 15 miles out of theirs...), they just laughed at us and I snapped on the inside and hung up before I flipped a biscuit. But for realz though I am about to explode on that one because they never even tried to give them as a referral... But to be fair they are both new missionaries.

I got so sunburnt this week from us being with out a car and walking around. I gave up on trying to fix my bike because the rim of it was bent so bad that I couldn't get the breaks to work at all and it totally wasn't safe with out a helmet or breaks. While we were out and about walking I walked in front of a house and there was a old bike torn up and in pieces across in a garden bed. I looked at it and realized that Those rims were in way better condition than mine. So I ran up to the door and my companion hesitantly followed, and I knocked to see if I could have the bike. No one answered so I left a sticky note asking for it and left a note with our number to call or text us. Like 3 hours later we got a text saying we could have it!!!! It was a miracle! No one ever calls or texts us back! 

SO we got the K1 Elders to pick it up for us when they came to take us to dinner with one of their members. From that I was able to salvage two bike rims (both with the tubes intact and inflatable) all of the reflectors that a bike needs to have, a bottle holder, a screw for my companions handlebars! It was a great find and since then I now have operating breaks I bought helmet today. The only problem is my bike is a 18 speed but runs like a 2.5 speed but that can be fixed; and I need the whole state of Michigan to get good roads because all the potholes and cracks in the road has bruised me as I sat on that hard seat. I guess I could get a new comfy seat but that costs money and I am going to abandon the bike and helmet when I leave so it's more convenient for them to fix the whole state of Michigan!=p But for realzies you can get air off of the sidewalk because of how Whak the street and sidewalks get, some places look like it's a skateboard ramp in the middle of the sidewalk.

This week I was riding my bike and we bombed a steep hill. As the air was flying past my body at high speeds there was a goose on the side of the road walking to a small pond. It turned around to see me shredding this hill and puffed up it's chest and raised it wings up to make it'self huge. It then ran to the road in a attempt to attack me!!! It shot a bite near my leg and missed! I jumped like a girl!!! Both of my hands up automatically to defend my face and chest (like I was having a punch thrown at me) I then shot my left hand back to the handle bar realizing I can't let go at that speed and I almost jerked my left break (I would have flew over my handlebars) 

I almost crashed because of that stupid thing. I wish I had more battle reflexes and kicked it! But I was to scared and curled up to defend myself from that thing. Dang goose! I don't want to find that one in a crowded room! =p Later that same day a kid shot a 3 pointer and made a sweet shot and the ball flew straight at my wheel and almost knocked me over, Again I wish I had the battle reflexes to kick it before it hit me. I think I need to do some kick boxing classes after the mish or some thing martial art that uses High kicks! I would love to train in something like that I think my long legs would do great at that.

-- 
- Elder Truman Rex Crockett

No comments:

Post a Comment